Q: Hey Shychemist. I've been following your blog for awhile and I want to bring up something that seems dated but nonetheless holds to be accurate today. I feel like the girls who consider themselves to be on the science side of tumblr to be horribly mistaken. It's statistically proven that women applicants struggle to get into stem doctorate programs, and rightfully so, they don't belong there. examples- atomic-o-licious, brainsx , adventuresinchemistry, i can't fit anymore but you get it
It doesn’t seem dated, your attitude is dated. This is the 21st century.
Women deserve to be in STEM programs just as much as men. I’d wager they deserve to succeed in the Sciences even more than men because of the sexism and misogyny they experience.
They struggle to get in because they’re the minority, and a lot of people who could admit them are sexist (regardless of gender) because of the society they grew up in. Its not through any intellectual weakness. These women are amazing and just as smart as the men in their fields.
You have no right to say these things to these amazing women, many of whom I consider to be friends.
Wow. That seems like really fucking wrong. And offensive. And I would love to take some more time out of my day to be pissed about it. But…
It seems that I have a lot of fucking science to do. So, uh, screw that. If anybody needs me, me and my lady bits will be getting some fucking science done.
I’m oddly excited to have been name checked by this shitty anon. Because it means that the very fact that I got into an Ivy League, top 15 science PhD program (where I fucking belong) is a giant fuck you to shitty anon. Also, shitty anons make Lewis sad. Because Lewis is a feminists science hippo.
Best way for me to deal with shitty nonnies who think women can’t do science? DO MORE SCIENCE!!!! MWAHAHAHA
Crap, I’m a woman biologist. I’d go get another career but I have a groundbreaking thesis on rapid evolution of reproductive isolation between seed beetle populations to finish.
I’m not a well-known tumblr scientist…but I am a scientist all the same. And while I could probably obtain a more gender-appropriate occupation… I’m pretty content with the fact I’m an atmospheric chemist Additionally, I am also one of the few women who have managed to be selected to intern at NASA’s airborne research program.
Do I not deserve a place in the STEM fields, anon?
Hey ladies! Mind if some physicists join in?
At the CERN visiting the CMS part of the LHC where were were working for 8 months on both computational and experimental work:
Presenting our research at a conference on Physics of Living Systems:
And visiting the Wind Tunnel experiment after presenting our research at Max Planck Institute at a Advances in Cardiac Dynamics Workshop
Oh, me? What do I do? I try to understand why superbursts happen in neutron stars! This is important because: they shouldn’t happen but they do. And the implications could be astoundingly helpful for things like, oh I don’t know, nuclear fusion.
Oh, just me, at a conference after presenting this:
"don’t belong there"?! excuse you! Im not a science tumblr but i am a girl and a geologist so i kinda prove you wrong…?
In the Sorbas Basin finding fossilised bird trackways and fossilised rain drops
Using HCl to dissolve solnhofen plattenkalk (limestones) to make plastic copies of exceptional fossils
On board the HMS Discovery, a state of the art scientific ship which anchors at the NOC (national oceanography centre Southampton)
Doing some geological mapping and fieldwork in Ingleton Yorkshire
So yeh anon, you’re wrong and very very very outdated in your opinions
oh wow this anon thinks that women don’t belong in STEM—
better throw my archaeology B.A. in the trash, burn my thesis and stop teaching biology, chemistry and physics to the 8-12th grades.
SCIENCE TO DO
NO TIME FOR SEXIST MAN CHILD ANONS
oh I guess I should burn the cheque I got for guest lecturing in grad school too—
Sorry, no time to answer douchey anon. To busy getting paid handsomely to do research things like this
While dressed fabulously like this
Because unlike the bullshit movies would tell you, geologists don’t wear white lab coats. Something to do with all that dirt.
I’d tell my grad school and all the funding bodies that gave me a fellowship and research grants that they were totally mistaken because girls don’t science well except OOPS ALREADY GOT MY MS IN GEOLOGY, TOO LATE.
Well darn. Guess I better just get back to doing science instead.
I just got crushes on like eight people at once. Fuck yeah science ladies of tumblr.
I earned a PhD in biomedical engineering while researching ways to repair bone, rebuild nerves, and treat the most deadly form of brain cancer. If you can’t handle my intelligence, piss right off :D
The sheer amount of hatred thrown in his direction the last few days has absolutely disgusted me. Pure, unadulterated bullying. All from people who will never be half the human being John is. He must have skin of steel to take it and still smile.
Too damn true. I will never comprehend how any human being thinks they have the right to hurl cruelty at someone else. The defense I’ve heard of “he puts himself out there” and “he asked for it” sickens me.
I’m so glad John has a healthy sense of self and family who supports him 120% of the way. I don’t know how he stomachs it with the smile either, but I respect him all the more for it.
doing so by throwing skinny girls under the bus, calling thinner girls “fake”, or insisting that being bigger is “what men really want” (implying that any female body type is only good if it has male approval):
Get To Know Me
Fill in the blanks and tag 6 people! (don’t forget to tell them you’ve tagged them)
1. name: Ri (well not really, but close enough) 2. birthday: October 22 3. favorite color: blue 4. lucky number: 4 5. height: 5’3
1. last dream you remember: devotee-of-dmitri and I meeting JB at an airport. Seriously. 2. can you juggle: newp 3. art/sports/both: Admire both :). Can do neither 4. do you like writing: Yup! 5. do you like dancing: Yes. Former hula and Tahitian dancer here 6. do you like singing: yes, but no one likes listening hehehe
1. dream vacation: Ireland, Scotland, Great Britain 3. dream guy/gal: I’ll take a Ianto Jones of my very own 4. dream wedding: haven’t planned it out, but I’d like it outside 5. dream pet: African grey parrot 6. dream job: full time historical costumer by day and a hula dancer on weekends
1. favourite song: “Hanging By A Moment” / “Everything” (Lifehouse) 2. favourite album: Recently? “You Raise Me Up” by John Barrowman 3. favourite artist: Lifehouse, Enya, the aforementioned JB :P 4. last song you heard on the radio: Does Pandora count? “Blow” by Ke$ha 5. least favorite song: Anything overplayed 6. least favorite album: See above 7. least favourite artist: See above
1. guys/girls/both: Guys so far :) 2. hair colour: somewhere between sandy and dark brown 3. eye colour: Blue, green, hazel… 4. humorous/serious: (stealing @ohgodicantthinkofausername ‘s answer) Has to know when to be serious, but have a good sense of humor 5. taller/shorter: Taller 6. biggest turn-off: Self-centeredness 7. biggest turn-on: Paying attention to details and giving instead of taking
sWe’re not at a convention but we’re at a place where they’re doing a play based on the Chuck Shurley books. So not only are these books based on our lives, now people are doing a play based on these books, and someone is haunting it, so we go and try to investigate what’s going on at this play, based on the books about our lives.